- Elon Musk says Neil Ferguson is a "tool" after to meet in secret with his lover.
- Ferguson, a top adviser to the UK government whose work helped persuade the government to enforce a lockdown, resigned Tuesday.
- The Telegraph broke the news that his married lover was visiting him at his London home, in violation of government rules.
- "This guy has caused massive strife to the world with his absurdly fake 'science,'" Musk said.
- Ferguson's work helped make the case for lockdowns around the world, but critics, including Musk, think the measures are excessive.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Elon Musk has labeled a top British scientist a "tool" and attacked his work after the scientist was caught breaking lockdown to rendezvous with his married lover.
Neil Ferguson, 52, leads a team at Imperial College London that published the paper that helped persuade the UK government to introduce its national lockdown2020欧洲杯小组赛. His advice has also been cited by the White House and other governments.
2020欧洲杯小组赛Ferguson as a formal adviser to the UK government after a British newspaper revealed that he had been breaching the lockdown rules in his private life.
Ferguson had allowed his lover, the 38-year-old Antonia Staats, to break lockdown and visit him at his London home during the crisis.
In a series of tweets Tuesday night prompted by images of the Telegraph story, Musk went after Ferguson, calling him an "utter moron" and "tool."
2020欧洲杯小组赛"This guy has caused massive strife to the world with his absurdly fake 'science,'" Musk tweeted.
—Elon Musk (@elonmusk)
—Elon Musk (@elonmusk)
Musk is an outspoken critic of coronavirus lockdowns, which he described recently as "fascist." He has repeatedly posted tweets suggesting that responses to the pandemic have been excessive or based on poor evidence.
2020欧洲杯小组赛Since Ferguson's models are based on predictions and hypothetical scenarios, it would be difficult to conclusively prove that any of their conclusions are "fake."
But it is certainly true that many epidemiologists have criticized Ferguson's work, as detailed in a recent profile of Ferguson by Business Insider.
2020欧洲杯小组赛Ferguson apologized for violating lockdown rules in a statement published by The Telegraph.
2020欧洲杯小组赛"I acted in the belief that I was immune, having tested positive for coronavirus, and completely isolated myself for almost two weeks after developing symptoms," he said.
2020欧洲杯小组赛"I deeply regret any undermining of the clear messages around the continued need for social distancing to control this devastating epidemic. The government guidance is unequivocal, and is there to protect all of us."
Do you have a personal experience with the coronavirus you'd like to share? Or a tip on how your town or community is handling the pandemic? Please email email@example.com and tell us your story.
Get the latest coronavirus business & economic impact analysis from Business Insider Intelligence on how COVID-19 is affecting industries.